Baked coconut balls, brushed with simple syrup and dipped in dark chocolate.
Try not to like them.
These little coconut treats are gone before they are made. Yes they are that good, even the coconut haters love them.
I must say they do require some time to make them but they are soo worth it. You will not regret, promise.
Yields approximately 70 coconut balls:
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon salt
500g desiccated coconut
300g dark chocolate (min.70% cocoa solids)
- Place butter and sugar in a saucepan and heat until butter melts.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, salt, eggs one at a time and coconut.
- Return to cook stirring constantly, until the mixture pulls away from sides of the pan.
- Transfer to clean bowl, cover and let it cool in refrigerator. Make sure the mixture is properly cold, otherwise you will not be able to form balls.
- Preheat the oven at 210°C (415°F).
- Form balls and place them on a sheet pan lined with baking paper.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare simple syrup:
180g water (OR 140g water+40g rum)
In a saucepan cook sugar and water(and rum if using) until sugar dissolves.
9. While balls are still hot brush them with syrup.
10. Place in fridge to cool.
11. Allow the balls to cool completely before dipping them in melted chocolate as shown on picture.
12. Try not to eat all 70 coconut balls in one day.
*if for some crazy reason you need a smaller batch simply divide all ingredients by 2